Hopefully a more up-to-date account of Angie's busy life

Thursday, September 03, 2009

So different

Kian is so different from Angie. I try to mark those special things in my mind, but of course, I like to share them with people too.

Angie needs more people interaction than Kian. Always has. Both my kids were cuddlers, but Kian reaches a saturation point and he is done.

From a very early age, Kian would indicate he was tired, he could lay down and go to sleep very quickly. That has changed somewhat as he has gotten older. He fights sleep because he does not want to miss any fun. But still, when he finally accepts that he needs to sleep, he rolls over and he is done with human contact.

Angie had to be cajoled to sleep. There were stories, songs, dancing, poems, recitations. If juggling would have worked we would have tried that too. Eventually, she would go to sleep.

Kian woke up extremely crabby from his nap yesterday. Chas and Angie were at karate and Kian was unsatisfied with the state of the world. I offered him the usual comforts: food, milk, story, hug, Blues Clues, Diego, (last and most desperately) Dora? All met with howls.

Do you want to go for a walk?

A tearful "Uh-huh."

Can you put on your shoes?

"NO!"

More hysteria.

So I grab the neglected sling, his sandals, keys, my cell phone and the boy and race out the door. He seemed soothed by the forced closeness of the sling, but every time I tried to talk to him, he fussed. I forced myself not to speak for a portion of the walk (normally I point out things and chatter; I especially do this with Angie when I'm trying to pull her out of a mood--almost always works for her). Kian just looked around and enjoyed on his own. I flashed back to swinging in silence with my Mom and Grandpa Dailey.

Sometimes it it good to just be and be silent and still be together. Kian is a child who needs that quiet space. We all do to different degrees.

I hope I can remember to respect their differences as they get older.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home