Hopefully a more up-to-date account of Angie's busy life

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Funny Words

I guess I have been speaking English (or my version of English) for so long that I did not realize that new words could be funny.

For several months, Angie has been bring us "A book a read!" (Translation: A book to read.) Most recently she has actually been allowing us to read the book to her instead of just racing to get a single word out before her nimble fingers turn the page. Shortly after her birthday, I was "reading" one of her colors books to her. This involved her turning pages, while she pointed at various items on a page for me to identify them. We finished the book, she closed it and then started pointing at items on the back of the book. I dutifully identified "orange," "cat," etc until her fingers landed on the Universal Product Code. Figuring that honesty was the best policy even at this early age, I promptly looked at her and said, "UPC Symbol!"

She looked at me as if to say, "Seriously Mommy?"

I repeated, "UPC Symbol" with enthusiasm. Angie began giggling wildly for several minutes. I repeated, "UPC Symbol" several times, laughing with her. Then Angie said, "Symbol" and giggled hysterically while repeating the word.

Since then, when we finish reading a book, Angie will turn the book over and proudly point out the "Symbol." She will also identify it in any other location like a DVD case or cereal box. I can occasionally give her the giggles if I respond with "UPC symbol," but it has never been quite as funny to her as it was the first time she heard it.

Only one other word has been as humorous to her. Roughly a month after her introduction to the UPC Symbol, we were shopping at the grocery store. Daddy was in another aisle picking up orange juice while I pushed Angie in the cart. I looked at Angie and was surprised to see that she was slouching sideways in the cart with her legs hanging over the side.

"Are you comfortable Angie?" I asked laughing.

Angie took one look at me, said, "Com-por-ble!!!" and started giggling wildly. For the rest of the shopping trip, Angie reassured me that she was "Com-por-ble!" at nearly every step.

I love that she has as much fun playing with words as she does playing with blocks.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Obviously, I LOVE this site!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home