Hopefully a more up-to-date account of Angie's busy life

Monday, August 15, 2005

Teach Us

Grandma (my mom) came to Cleveland to help watch Angie Thursday and Friday. (Thanks Mom). On Thursday night, Chas and I dined at the Willoughby Brewing Company to celebrate his birthday. Mom and Angie went to Wendy's for dinner and then to K-mart for some errands. Mom, of course, bought her a book.

The book has lots of colorful bugs and along the top of the book is a row of tabs to turn the pages. Each tab has a different background color and a picture of the bug featured on that page. Each page introduces readers to the various bugs in the bug family and their personalities.

Tonight Angie sat with me and she read the book to me. She pointed to the background, which was red, and said, "This is rojo. Rojo is Spanish for red. Can you say 'rojo?'" I said rojo and she continued with, "Angie, teach us another color!" She then looked at me expectantly so I repeated after her, she looked pleased and turned the page.

The next page was blue, so Angie again pointed to the background and said, "This is azul. Azul is the Spanish word for blue. Can you say 'azul?'" I repeated "Azul," and Angie nodded her head and said, "Angie, teach us another color!"

We read the entire book this way. She only knows rojo and azul so we find lots of blue and red things on each of the subsequent pages. I think verde is Spanish for green (but I could be confusing it with Italian) so Angie will occasionally "teach" me verde. However, sometimes verde is green and sometimes it is orange.

When we finish the book, we start again. The grandparents, Chas and I joked at her birthday party that she will be a teacher because she likes to take roll call. Now I'm really beginning to wonder if all the teachers in her family have made an impression this early.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home